This course assumes that the student has reached a reasonably high level of competence and experience in cleaning carpets and rugs. It is also intended to be an essential reference and resource for those who are concerned with maintaining residential (domestic) or commercial (contract) wool carpets and rugs, whether they become a WoolSafe-Approved Carpet Care Specialist or not.
With this objective in mind, this course initially follows wool fibre from fleece, to yarn, to carpet, and therefore, it describes aspects of textile processing and carpet manufacture. Initial processing and carpet or rug construction is followed by basic issues concerned with actual cleaning. These aspects of what are essentially textile technology, determine the ways in which wool carpet and rugs should be maintained and cleaned.
- Introduction to wool and other carpet fibres and their physical and chemical characteristics of relevance to carpet cleaning
- Manufacture and characteristics of 100% wool and wool-rich carpets and rugs
- Colouration techniques, dying and printing of wool and wool carpets and rugs
- Cleaning and maintenance techniques specific to wool and wool-rich carpets and rugs
- WoolSafe approval programme for carpet and upholstery cleaning and protection products
- WoolSafe approved products: how and why they are selected, and why you should use them
- Common problems with wool floor coverings and how to deal with them.
Registration at 09:00, Training sessions will begin at 09.30 and finish at approx. 16.30. Lunch and refreshments during the day will be provided at the venue and are included in the fee.
A course manual and an ‘open book’ examination paper will be issued to every candidate at the end of the training course. Completed exams must be returned to The WoolSafe Organisation for adjudication within one month. The minimum standard required is 80% for qualification as a WoolSafe Fibre Care Specialist. Candidates who achieve this mark will be invited to become WoolSafe Approved Service Providers. Those that meet the membership requirements will, upon payment of the registration and membership fees, be registered, listed and issued with the relevant Certificate.